The British Forum for Ethnomusicology (BFE) is an association formerly known as the International Council for Traditional Music (ICTM, UK Chapter). As an Affiliate National Committee to the ICTM, our aim is to advance the study, practice, documentation, preservation and dissemination of traditional music and dance, including folk, popular, classical, urban, and other genres, of all countries.
BFE is a body fiscally autonomous from any other organisation, and membership is open to anyone interested in the study of music and dance from all parts of the world.
The objectives of our work include:
- to provide a forum in which interested persons may share in the findings of research and engage in debate, by arranging meetings, discussions and other activities;
- to provide an official link for individual members of BFE with the ICTM and to submit reports of its activities to the ICTM;
- to organise an annual conference in the UK;
- to co-operate with other bodies in the UK and elsewhere having similar objects to those of BFE;
- to encourage and assist work in the field of music and related research that reflects the interests of members of BFE;
- to publish regularly a scholarly journal and to issue regular e-news for members and non-members;
- to do all such things as will further the objects of BFE.